Easy Ginger Cookies
Ginger cookies are a wonderful treat during the holidays. A ginger cookie, gingerbread or ginger snap is a globally popular cookie based snack food, flavoured with ginger.
Ginger cookies are flavored with powdered ginger and a variety of other spices, most commonly cinnamon, molasses and nutmeg. Click here for more recipes for ginger cookies with fresh ginger.
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups butter, softened
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Whisk flour, ginger, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt together in a bowl.
- Beat butter in a large bowl until creamy. Gradually beat in 2 cups sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in molasses. Stir 1/2 of the flour mixture into butter mixture; add remaining flour mixture and stir until dough is just-combined.
- Pour 3/4 sugar into a shallow bowl. Roll dough into 2 inch balls and roll each ball in sugar to coat. Place sugar-coated dough balls 2 1/2-inches apart on a baking sheet.
- Bake in the preheated oven until cookies are light brown and puffed, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool on the baking sheet for 2 minutes before transferring cookies to a wire rack to cool completely.